The California Department of Public Health issued warnings last week to avoid eating any alfalfa or clover sprouts distributed under the Wo Chong brand. Laboratory testing of the sprouts revealed they were contaminated with salmonella.
“Consumers, especially infants, young children and the elderly, are susceptible to serious infection when exposed to Salmonella,” said Dr. Mark Horton, director of CDPH. “Today’s warning is part of our ongoing efforts to ensure the safety of foods sold in California.”
The Wo Chong sprouts can be identified by the four ounce packages or the one pound bag. The Universal Product Code for the spouts is 027862003017.
Salmonella is a bacterial infection that typically causes fever, vomiting, and diarrhea, with the symptoms usually starting within a few days of ingestion. It can lead to hospitalization.
The San Diego personal injury attorneys at Walton Law Firm represent individuals who have been injured in all types of incidents, including auto accidents, worksite injuries, food poisoning, pedestrian injuries, construction accidents, property injuries, and malpractice matters. Call (760) 571-5500 for a free and confidential consultation.